Phoenix Children's Hospital
Will Mandeville, 602-546-2660
Kohl's Healthy Kids and Families
Kohl's Healthy Kids & Families (KHK&F) is a comprehensive health and wellness program that targets school-age children and their families to encourage active lifestyles and healthy eating through community outreach and education.
Phoenix Children's Hospital takes its KHK&F program to the community through:
- Schools / organizations reaching vulnerable children and families;
- Community outreach events
- Purchases of specialized child restraints through families' insurance providers
- Via the website at Kohlshealthykidsandfamilies.com.
KHK&F is made up of three primary component programs:
- The Kohl's Kids Rock Stars Walking / Running Program
- The Kohl's Families in Training (F.I.T.) Program, focused on grass roots nutrition and activities
- Community outreach events where there are interactive opportunities to be active or to learn about healthy eating
Thanks to Kohl's ongoing financial commitment to Kohl's Healthy Kids & Families we have been able to reach and impact a steadily growing and impressive number of children and their families through interactions at targeted special events, schools and other venues. Last year alone we had close to 4,000 students enrolled in our program across 64 schools in lower-income neighborhoods. Through the program these kids and their families completed almost 120,000 miles. Our programs under the umbrella of KHK&F last year produced over 31,000 contacts of all kinds with these school-aged kids and their families around fun activities for healthy living. In addition we received over 6,000 visits to our website from families utilizing the interactive tools.
Success measurements of the overall program and its reach into our community:
Program success is measured by volume of outreach, number of contacts made, number of schools and children participating, visits to our website and activities completed. We also gauge success by the number of media mentions and gross impressions through unpaid media channels.
Additionally we work with a consultant from the Virginia Piper Charitable Trust to analyze pre and post-program reports for families participating in Families in Training (F.I.T.) to understand the impact the program is having on behaviors reflective of healthy living.
Successful tactics for making our program known in our community:
- Through both paid and unpaid media we received a total of 10 million gross impressions last year. Unpaid media delivered over 1.7 million gross impressions through strong PR outreach connecting healthy lifestyle activities, the Kohl's brand and family-friendly events around kids' health that seem to be a great formula for attracting our local media. Ali Vincent from the Biggest Loser also adopted the program and has gained us some national attention. Our paid media campaign through both English & Spanish-language media reached over 2.2 million adults and delivered 8.6 million gross impressions, integrating on-air talent with our online activities and interactive tools in a compelling and fun way.
- We have actively increased the number of Kohl's Associates in Action volunteer activities both through our KHK&F events, which produced over 350 volunteer opportunities during the past year, and other Hospital initiatives and events, which brought that number up to over 500 volunteer opportunities for Kohl's employees and raised over $97,000 for our hospital programs through Associates in Action Grants. We have succeeded, to a great extent, in making Kohl's Volunteerism and PCH Community Outreach synonymous.
- A creative partnership that meets both the goal of deploying Associates in Action volunteers and providing a green event during the month of April are our Community Shred Events to benefit Phoenix Children's Hospital that are held on Saturdays twice a year at four Kohl's locations throughout the Valley each time. Kohl's Associates in Action supports helping donors shred sensitive documents and collecting donations for the hospital as well as generating Associates in Action Grants. These events have raised over $25,000 for the hospital in the past year. Additionally the Associates in Action plays a large role in our annual car seat recycling event.
- Kohl's Day of Play is a single day where over 120 Kohl's employees come into Phoenix Children's to read to our patients and give away Kohl's Cares for Kids merchandise in our playrooms and our outpatient clinic waiting rooms. This day generates significant media coverage and provides an event around which we can build our Donation Announcement.
- Our involvement with the PF Chang's Rock'n Roll Marathon and other larger structured running events have provided an opportunity for kids in our KHK&F program to run and Kohl's Associates in Action Volunteers to participate as volunteers. These have been surrounded by media presence and PR with our runners and all Kohl's personnel representing Kohl's Kids Rock Stars and KHK&F.