Kohl's history began in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. And since Milwaukee is our hometown, we think it's important to support the community where we made our start. Kohl's Cares seeks to develop partnerships in the Milwaukee community focused on helping families lead fulfilled lives. Currently we partner with the following nonprofit organizations:
Click the logos below to learn more.
American Cancer Society®
The American Cancer Society is a nationwide, community-based, voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer through research, education, advocacy and service. For more information, visit cancer.org.
The Kohl's Breast Health for Women program, available through a partnership between Kohl's Cares® and American Cancer Society, focuses on keeping women healthy, reducing their risk of getting breast cancer, providing access to breast cancer screenings and supporting women diagnosed with breast cancer to make informed decisions about their care and address barriers to treatment. Program components include:
- Online and print tools and resources for all women to learn more about their breast health.
- Outreach community health workers focused on providing breast health education and screening resources to underserved women.
- Support services and educational tools to assist breast cancer patients during and after treatment.
Kohl’s Cares® is the presenting sponsor of the Milwaukee Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (MSABC) walk.
For more information about our partnership, visit acskohlsbreasthealth.com.
Betty Brinn Children's Museum
Betty Brinn Children's Museum is a place dedicated to providing interactive exhibits and educational resources that promote the healthy development of children in their formative years. Kohl's Cares® has partnered with the Museum since 2010.
Through the Kohl's Healthy Kids: It's Your Move! exhibit, kids can jump into a giant interactive board game and play their way to a healthy lifestyle. Players use spinners and game cards to move along the winding game path that leads to action-packed activity stations, highlighting activity and rest, safety, nutrition and personal care.
To learn more about Betty Brinn Children's Museum and the Kohl's Healthy Kids: It's Your Move exhibit, visit bbcmkids.org.
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Kohl's Cares® and Children's Hospital of Wisconsin have a long-standing relationship of creating new and exciting programs focused on kids' health and education.
The current program, Kohl's Cares: Grow Safe & Healthy, is a multi-pronged approach to injury prevention with topics focusing on the top preventable childhood injuries/deaths in Southeastern Wisconsin, aligning with stages of child development. Injury prevention topics include safe play (in and out of the home: falls, poisoning, fire and burns, choking and suffocation, as well as drowning), distracted driving, seat belt use and adult education, which mirrors the child/teen messages. The Kohl's Cares: Grow Safe & Healthy messages are delivered via stationary and mobile kiosks throughout Southeastern Wisconsin and a social marketing and awareness campaign linked with mobile applications of learning.
To learn more about Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, visit kohlssafeandhealthy.com.
Since 2010, Kohl's Cares® has supported Discovery World, an organization dedicated to helping people positively impact their communities by developing a better understanding of technology and the environment while fostering both innovation and creativity.
The Kohl's Design It! Lab is a hands-on learning lab providing visitors with a greater understanding of how things are made and how technology is involved in transforming ideas into objects. The Kohl's Design It! Mobile Lab brings projects and creativity to local schools and community events.
To learn more about Discovery World and the Kohl's Design It! Lab, visit designitlab.com.
Hunger Task Force
Hunger Task Force believes that every person has a right to adequate food obtained with dignity, which is why Kohl's teamed up with Wisconsin's premier anti-hunger organization in 2009.
Kohl's Serving Up Supper For Kids serves meals to kids, up to 18 years of age, who participate in Milwaukee summer recreation programs.
To learn more about Hunger Task Force and the Kohl's Serving Up Supper For Kids program, visit hungertaskforce.org.
Kohl's Cares® and JDRF, a leading global organization focused on type 1 diabetes (T1D) research, both share a mission of improving kids' health, which is why Kohl's Cares® has supported them over the past decade.
Kohl's Cares® is the title sponsor of the annual JDRF One Walk Milwaukee, which brings together more than 6,000 people all working to cure, treat and prevent T1D.
To learn more about JDRF, visit jdrf.org.
Junior Achievement of Wisconsin
Junior Achievement (JA) of Wisconsin gives young people the knowledge and skills they need to own their economic successes, plan for their futures and make smart academic and economic choices. Since 2010, Kohl's Cares® has shared in this same vision of giving local children a brighter future.
The JA Programs consist of the following two initiatives that take place in the JA Kohl's Education Center:
- JA BizTown (grades 4-6): An economic/workforce readiness program that allows students to run a "real" city economy as the workers, consumers and government officials.
- JA Finance Park (grades 7-12): A financial literacy program where students complete personal finance transactions and create long-term financial plans.
To learn more about JA, visit wisconsin.ja.org.
Milwaukee Art Museum
The Milwaukee Art Museum collects and preserves art, presenting it to the community as a vital source of inspiration and education. As part of a joint effort, Kohl's and the Milwaukee Art Museum have worked together to inspire the young artists of metro Milwaukee since 2008.
Kohl's Art Generation is comprised of educational programming that seeks not only to inform kids about art and its value, but to also involve them in hands-on, creative art experiences. The Kohl's Education Center serves as the hub of family programming and includes the Kohl's Art Generation Gallery, Studio and Lab. Another component of the partnership is Kohl's Color Wheels, which is a mobile art experience that brings hands-on activities and lessons to schools and community events.
To learn more about the Milwaukee Art Museum and Kohl's Art Generation, visit mam.org/artgeneration.
The Milwaukee Wave of Hope
The Milwaukee Wave of Hope, the charitable arm of the Milwaukee Wave professional indoor soccer team, has a mission to help foster an environment for children in Wisconsin where education, wellness and positive life skills can thrive.
Kohl's is the presenting sponsor of Making Waves, a comprehensive program that teaches children (ages 5-14) how wise choices lead to success in life, using soccer as a vehicle to demonstrate lessons.
To learn more about The Wave of Hope, visit milwaukeewaveofhope.org.
Penfield Children's Center
For over 20 years, Kohl's has partnered with Penfield Children's Center, an organization whose sole purpose is to help infants and young children, with and without disabilities, reach their full potential through education, therapy services and family programs.
The Kohl's Building Blocks Program gives children in need access to early educational and developmental programs, services and equipment. Programs and services include:
- Specialized and professional child development services from qualified professional staff with specific attention to children with behavioral disorders, victims of abuse and neglect, and those with significant disabilities.
- Access to the Kohl's Child Development Library at the center, providing specialized equipment, age-appropriate books and other early childhood development and educational materials available on a check-out basis for in-home use.
- Kohl's Early Learning Toolbox, which is provided to children and families upon enrollment in the program. Each toolbox contains age-appropriate toys and books that stimulate and encourage continuous development.
- Kohl’s Building Blocks Workshops, aimed at helping youth, professionals and parents expand their knowledge regarding special-needs children.
- The Kohl’s Building Blocks website is an online community that provides information about child development, with particular emphasis on children with special needs.
To learn more about Penfield Children's Center and the Kohl's Building Blocks Program, visit penfieldbuildingblocks.org.
Ronald McDonald House Charities Eastern Wisconsin
The Ronald McDonald House Charities Eastern Wisconsin is dedicated to easing the burden of families whose lives have been disrupted as a result of their child's illness or injury. They provide a "home-away-from-home" and caring outreach initiatives. Kohl's Cares® formed a partnership with The Ronald McDonald House Charities Eastern Wisconsin in 2012.
Kohl's Family Healing Services at Ronald McDonald House helps families with children being treated at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Through this program, parents and siblings will benefit from participation in Art and Music Therapy and can access resources in the Sibling Play Space and Family Room at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. Each component includes highly-trained staff to lead programs and provide support to families as they cope with their children's illnesses.
To learn more about Ronald McDonald House Charities Eastern Wisconsin, visit rmhcmilwaukee.org.
Southeast WI Affiliate of Susan G. Komen
Susan G. Komen is the only breast cancer organization attacking the disease on all fronts: in research, community outreach, education, advocacy and global work. Susan G. Komen Southeast Wisconsin has invested millions of dollars in cutting-edge breast cancer research, as well as screening, treatment and support for tens of thousands of local, low-income and uninsured women. For more information, visit komensoutheastwi.org.
Kohl's Cares® partnership with the Southeast WI Affiliate of Susan G. Komen® includes multiple components with programs focused on increasing education, driving awareness and encouraging women to take action for their breast health.
- Kohl's Conversations for the Cure is a grassroots-based education program aimed at increasing breast health screenings for women in Southeastern Wisconsin WI.
- The Komen Southeast Wisconsin Breast Health Fund supported by Kohl’s Cares provides financial support to women who need breast health screenings or access to treatment.
- Kohl's Cares® is the presenting sponsor of the Southeastern Wisconsin WI Race for the Cure event.
For more information about our programs and partnership, visit kohlsconversationsforthecure.org.
Kohl's Cares® began its annual sponsorship of Summerfest, "The World's Largest Music Festival," in 2011.
Annual sponsorship components include:
- Kohl's Captivation Station, an area on the Summerfest Grounds that provides families with creative and educational music experiences.
- Kohl's Family Day Admission Promotion which allows a limited number of Summerfest patrons one free admission when donating three non-perishable food items for kids. All donations benefit Hunger Task Force.
To learn more about Summerfest, visit summerfest.com.
Wisconsin State Fair
Kohl's Cares® began its annual sponsorship of the Wisconsin State Fair, an 11-day event that offers fun for all ages, in 2011.
Annual sponsorship components include:
- Kohl's Family Value Day, allowing all fair-goers to be eligible for discounted fair admission.
- A "Fair Day" at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin for patients and their families, hosted by the Wisconsin State Fair and Kohl's Cares®. Participants enjoy fair food, games and entertainment.
- Kohl’s Activity Zone, Kohl’s Cares®, in partnership with the Milwaukee Art Museum, Discovery World, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, Penfield Children’s Center and the Milwaukee County Zoo, provides fun, engaging activities for families to enjoy every day of the fair.
To learn more about the Wisconsin State Fair, visit wistatefair.com.
Zoological Society of Milwaukee
Kohl's Cares® partnered with the Zoological Society of Milwaukee in 2011. Its mission is to take part in conserving wildlife and endangered species, to educate people about the importance of wildlife and the environment and to support the Milwaukee County Zoo.
Kohl's Wild Theater uses drama, songs and puppetry to provide conservation-themed theater performances to children and their families both at the Milwaukee County Zoo and within our community.
To learn more about the Zoological Society of Milwaukee and Kohl's Wild Theater, visit wildtheater.org.
Kohl's Cares® Field Trip Grant Program
Kohl’s Cares® supports hometown youth through the Kohl’s Cares Field Trip Grant Program. Since the program started in 2013, Kohl’s Cares® has granted more than $2 million in field trips for Milwaukee area youth. With a grant, eligible schools can visit one of our partner organizations: Betty Brinn Children's Museum, Discovery World, Junior Achievement of Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Art Museum or the Milwaukee County Zoo.
To learn more about the program, visit kohls.com/fieldtrip.